If you slip and fall on someone’s property due to a hazard like a slippery floor, a damaged stairway, or an uneven or crumbling walkway, you could end up with serious injuries and a pile of expensive hospital bills to contend with. If this hazard should have been addressed by the property owner, their negligence is to blame for your injuries and they should help you with the expenses that you have incurred. This is true even if you fall on government property, but there are some special rules about suing a city, state, or municipality that will apply. A Tom Green County, Texas personal injury lawyer can help you make sense of these rules and pursue the compensation that you deserve.

What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall on Government Property?

After a slip and fall on government property, you should begin gathering evidence and building a case. We recommend that you:

  • Take photos of the accident scene
  • Get contact info from any witnesses
  • Receive medical care as soon as possible
  • Talk to a lawyer about your legal options

How Long Do I Have to Sue After a Fall on Government Property?

Usually, a victim of a slip and fall or similar incident has years to take legal action. This is not the case when government property is involved. You must file a notice of claim, informing the government that you plan to sue, within just 180 days, or six months. Then you can sue for damages. Miss that deadline and you’re probably out of luck.

Can I Sue For Punitive Damages?

In some personal injury cases, you can sue for punitive damages that are meant to punish someone for particularly negligent or egregious conduct. The types of damages and how much can be paid out is limited though, so you are not likely to get punitive damages.

You would receive compensatory damages, compensation meant to make up for things like medical bills and lost wages, if you win your case. Those damages have a cap too though. Most government entities will only pay out up to $250,000 per person and $500,000 per occurrence. Some municipalities may have lower limits.

How Can a Lawyer Help Me?

You are not required to hire a lawyer, but we recommend hiring one if you’re serious about pursuing damages in a personal injury case. Proving negligence on your own can be tough. Our lawyers can help you gather evidence, contact witnesses, and do everything else needed to make the most convincing argument for compensation.

Contact Our Legal Team

So if you were hurt on government property, don’t delay. Contact the Mathis Law Firm and ask to schedule a free consultation with our team. We can tell you more about the process for suing the government and how our experienced lawyers can help you build a convincing case.