Even when companies in the construction industry do their best to keep their workers safe, injuries can still happen. If you get hurt on the job, there are ways to seek compensation. You may even have multiple ways to seek it out. A San Angelo, Texas construction accident lawyer can help you with that.

What Are Some Common Injuries in the Construction Industry?

Construction industry injuries can run the gamut from minor cuts to major, life-altering injuries. We frequently help clients who have suffered from injuries like:

  • Broken bones
  • Organ damage
  • Internal bleeding
  • Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Burns
  • Injuries from exposure to electricity or harmful substances
  • Amputations
  • Loss or partial loss of vision or hearing

What Kinds of Events Lead to Injuries in the Construction Industry?

The unfortunate reality is that there are just a lot of ways to get hurt in the construction industry. This is why companies must make it a priority to make job sites as safe as possible. Giving out the right kind of safety equipment and properly training employees can help too.

Even when everything has been thought of, injuries can still happen. Falls from high surfaces, injuries from unstable scaffolding, and incidents caused by heavy construction equipment like trucks and cranes can still lead to serious harm.

What Should I Do After Getting Injured?

If you get injured on the job, that must be reported to your employer right away. They report your injury to their workers’ compensation provider. They review the claim and then pay out benefits that can help make up for your medical expenses and lost wages.

It’s also important to get medical care as soon as possible. Insurers often try to deny claims if a worker waits too long to see a doctor about their injuries.

Can I Sue an Employer When I Get Hurt?

In most cases, you are supposed to go through the workers’ comp system when you get hurt on the job. However, not all employers are required to have this insurance in Texas. This could mean that you would need to sue your own employer to get any compensation.

Should I Hire a Lawyer?

A lawyer can help you whether you have to sue your employer directly or work within the workers’ compensation system. If your workers’ comp claim is denied, an attorney from our firm can work on an appeal. If you must sue your employer, we can help you build your case.

We can also help you if you have to file a third-party injury claim. This can be done when you get hurt at work but it was due to someone else’s negligence. A good example of this would be an injury from a construction vehicle that could not stop due to faulty brakes. The manufacturer of that part or the truck could potentially be held liable for your injuries.

Schedule Your Free Consultation

Do not miss your chance to claim compensation. Contact the Mathis Law Firm and ask to schedule a free consultation with our team. We would be happy to review your case and tell you more about your legal options.