Getting into a collision can be terrifying for both parties involved. However, when the driver responsible for the incident leaves, you may not know what to do. Unfortunately, this can leave you struggling to receive compensation for the damages you’ve endured. If you are the victim of a hit-and-run in Texas, understanding how to pursue a lawsuit against the negligent party is crucial. The following blog explores how a San Angelo, Texas auto accident lawyer can assist you through these challenging times to help you recover the compensation you deserve.

What Is a Hit-and-Run?

When vehicles are involved in a collision, they must pull over and exchange information or wait until the police arrive at the scene to file a report. If a crash occurs and one driver files the scene to avoid liability, this constitutes a hit-and-run.

Anytime a driver causes damage to a vehicle, injury to a pedestrian or motorist, or damages property, they must stop and give the owner of the vehicle or pedestrian their contact information. If they cannot find the car or property owner, they must leave a written note with their information.

If the other driver does not stop, they can face a felony charge if the collision results in injury to another party.

What Should I Do if the Other Driver Leaves the Scene?

If you are involved in a car crash, and the other person leaves the scene of the collision, you may not know how to proceed. The most important thing you should do is call the police. The sooner you contact emergency services, the better the chances of locating the other vehicle are. You should not try to chase the car, as this can worsen your injuries leading to the risk of another collision should you become inhibited by pain.

Be sure to provide as much information about the vehicle as possible. This includes the color, make, model, and identifiers, such as decals or bumper stickers. You can also provide details about the crash, as the police can then be on the lookout for vehicles that have consistent damage. It can also be helpful to give the police a full or partial license plate number if possible.

How Can an Attorney Help Me?

If you were injured in a collision, ensuring you contact an attorney as soon as possible is essential. Unfortunately, car crashes can leave the injured party with chronic pain that impacts the rest of their life, as well as financial instability due to the high medical bills incurred. As such, it is essential to contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible to help you recover the compensation you deserve when a negligent party injures you and then immediately leaves the scene.

At the Mathis Law Firm, we are dedicated to fighting for you to recover the compensation and justice you deserve. If you were involved in a hit-and-run, contact us today to learn how we can assist you through these challenging times.